This city became one of the largest and wealthiest cities in the state when Texas seceded from the Union in 1861. Riding tack and ammunition were produced for the Confederate Army. After the fall of Vicksburg, Marshall became the western capital of the Confederacy and it also served as the wartime capital for Missouri's exiled governor. Texas' oldest pottery manufacturing plant, Marshall Pottery, was established here in 1896, and the city was chosen as the site for a major locomotive and car repair shop by the Texas & Pacific Railway. Marshall's impressive train station, constructed in 1912, was once scheduled for demolition, but a determined effort by the City of Marshall preserved the building for future generations. The Ginocchio Hotel, across from the station, is an 1896 vintage railroad eating house from the era when trains stopped every few hours for meals. A local legend suggests that the hotel is haunted.